Frequently Asked Questions
Q: How do I configure my device for KSU Wireless or KSU Housing?
Q: What are the wireless networks available on campus and which one should I connect to?
A: The following wireless networks are available at K-State:
- KSU Wireless: A secure network for current K-State faculty, staff, and students not living in K-State residence halls or Jardine Apartments.
- KSU Housing: A secure network for current residents of K-State residence halls and Jardine Apartments.
- KSU Guest: For temporary visitors to campus. This wireless network has no security.
Q: What operating systems are supported?
A: The following operating systems are supported at K-State:
- Microsoft Windows
- Mac OS X
- iOS devices
- Android devices
Q: Can Google Chromebooks connect to KSU Wireless or KSU Housing?
A: Chrome OS versions earlier than 15.0.874.83 may not connect to KSU Wireless or KSU Housing.
Q: What is wireless networking?
A: Wireless networking is a method of connecting devices to a Local Area Network (LAN) via a low-power radio frequency signal instead of a wired, plugged-in connection.
Q: How do I get started using K-State's wireless network?
A: In order to use the wireless network, you will need to:
- Have a laptop computer or other personal mobile device capable of connecting to a WiFi network with WPA2 Enterprise security.
- Ensure that you have internet access. (You can use KSU Guest for this purpose.)
- See Wireless computer access at K-State to manually configure your device.
Q: Where can I access the wireless network on campus?
A: Most of campus is covered. See K-State Wireless Locations for details.
Q: Why are we switching from WEP to WPA2 Enterprise security?
A: We are switching because:
- WPA2 Enterprise offers much stronger security than WEP.
- A current eID is required, which restricts use of K-State's secure wireless network to current faculty, staff, students and authorized affiliates.
- WPA2 Enterprise is required to securely connect to the newer 802.11n wireless protocol while still achieving maximum data transfer speeds.
Q: Which wireless protocols are supported?
A: The following wireless protocols are supported at K-State:
- 802.11n (not available in all locations)