Wireless Frequently Asked Questions
- How do I configure my device for
KSU Wireless or KSU Housing?
Go to wireless.k-state.edu/connect/. After
completing the short setup process you will automatically connect to the proper wireless network.
- What are the wireless networks available on campus and which
one should I connect to?
- KSU Wireless: A secure network for current
K-State faculty, staff, and students not living in K-State residence halls or Jardine
- KSU Housing: A secure network for current
residents of K-State residence halls and Jardine Apartments.
- KSU Guest: For temporary visitors to
campus. This wireless network has no security
and cannot access K-State enterprise systems such as K-State Online, WebMail, iSIS,
HRIS, and FIS.
- What operating systems are supported?
- Microsoft Windows
- Mac OS X
- iOS devices
- Android devices
- Can Google Chromebooks connect to KSU Wireless or KSU Housing?
Chrome OS versions earlier than 15.0.874.83 may not connect to KSU Wireless or KSU Housing.
- What is wireless networking?
Wireless networking is a method of connecting devices to a Local Area Network (LAN) via a
low-power radio frequency signal instead of a wired, plugged-in connection.
- How do I get started using K-State's wireless network?
- Have a laptop computer or other personal mobile device capable of connecting to a
WiFi network with WPA2 Enterprise security.
- Ensure that you have internet access. (You can use
KSU Guest for this purpose.)
- Point your web browser to
- Where can I access the wireless network on campus?
Most of campus is covered. See K-State
wireless locations for details.
- Why are we switching from WEP to WPA2 Enterprise
- WPA2 Enterprise offers much stronger security than WEP.
- A current eID is required, which restricts use of K-State's secure wireless
network to current faculty, staff, students and authorized affiliates.
- Thirdly, WPA2 Enterprise is required to securely connect to the newer 802.11n wireless
protocol while still achieving maximum data transfer speeds.
- Which wireless protocols are supported?
- 802.11n (not available in all locations)
- What wireless network do I use in the Vet Med complex?
- WPA2 is not currently available in the Vet Med complex.
- After using the automated configuration tool to configure your device, you will need
to manually connect to k-state.vet.
- What happens if I use KSU
Guest to attempt to access K-State enterprise systems such as K-State Online, WebMail,
iSIS, HRIS, and FIS?
- These systems are not available on KSU Guest. Use KSU Wireless or KSU Housing to access these resources.